By Kobi Fysh on January 31, 2020 in Uncategorized


Brexit advice for Students from EU, EEA & Switzerland

Brexit is fast approaching and we want to make sure you are aware of what needs to be done to continue to study in the UK.  Anyone one who is a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland should check with their university or college.  The government would have sent each institution advice on how to prepare for Brexit.  We have compiled a few key points for those in this situation.


All current students:

  • If you are a citizen of the EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland you will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue to study in the UK after 2020. Deal or no deal, you will have until at least 31 December 2020 to apply.


Current students and a no deal Brexit: 

  • If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the UK Government will introduce immigration rules for citizens and their immediate family under European Temporary Leave to Remain.  You can find out more here.  These rules cover EU students who arrive in the UK after the UK leaves the EU and only apply if the UK leaves without a deal.  This is a simple online process which would allow you to remain in the UK for 36 months.
  • If you wish to stay for longer, for instance if you are completing a four-year course, you will need to stay up to date with the Rules as the UK government is still in the process of defining the details of further regulations.
  • Erasmus Exchange Programme- Students from the 27 European Union and the other five programme countries can continue to come to the UK until the date of Exit.


Students entering after the UK leaves the EU:

  • As long as the UK leaves the EU with a withdrawal agreement in place, you will not need a visa if you are arriving before 1 January 2021.
  • IF you are arriving after 1 January 2021 as stated above the UK government is still defining the rules and regulations for future visa processes.
  • Irish citizens will not be affected


It is important not to completely rely on your university to make sure you are in line with the new regulations, but to actively seek out their advice as to what you need to do yourself.


Rules do change so please make sure to continue to check the government websites below for any update or to get expert advice from an immigration lawyer or advisor.  If you would like our advice with your situation please contact us here.




click the edit button to change this text.

Need immigration advice? Contact us now