Partners & Dependents Visa

Spouses/Civil Partners/Unmarried partners/fiancée’s of British citizens, people in the UK with ILR,
recognised refugees or those with humanitarian protection

In order to qualify for leave to enter or remain in the above category, your sponsor in the UK must meet one of the following criteria:

  • be in permanent employment earning £18,600 per year
  • be self employed and have average earnings of £18,600 over the past 18 or 24 months
  • have other specified non-employment income amounting to £18,600
  • have savings amounting to £62,500
  • have earnings from employment or income from other sources which, although lower than £18,600, can be ‘topped up’ from savings
  • be in receipt of specified benefits, including Disability Living Allowance or Carer’s Allowance, and be able to support their family as per government minimum requirements.

If applying for leave to enter the UK and your sponsor is living outside of the UK at the time of application, you will also qualify for leave to enter if he has a firm job offer from a UK employer, with suitable salary, due to start within 3 months of returning.

If you have dependent children who are also applying then more savings or income will be required.


The accommodation requirements remain the same, that is that you have somewhere to stay with the permission of the owner of the property, with at least one room that you and your sponsor occupy exclusively, and that will not be overcrowded.


You must be in a genuine relationship with your sponsor.  The government have introduced a number of new tests to make sure that the relationship is genuine.  Legitimate couples should not be greatly affected by this.

If successful, an out-of-country applicant will be issued a visa valid for 33 months.  If in- country, the visa will be granted for 30 months. The visa will then need to be extended until you have been in the UK for 5 years, at which point you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

If you would like MediVisas to assess your eligibility

Get in touch with us >